The new dol.wa.gov is coming soon — here's what to know!

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Inspecting modified off-road motorcycles: Vehicle and vessel dealers

Things to know

To perform safety inspections on modified off-road motorcycles you must be a:

  • Licensed motorcycle dealer
  • or
  • Motorcycle repair shop

To learn how to get your license, see:

Inspection requirements

When you inspect a modified off-road motorcycle to determine if it's legal for road use, you must:

  • Check the vehicle identification number (VIN).
  • Inspect all the equipment identified in RCW 46.61.705, including:
    • Head lamp, tail lamp, and stop lamp.
    • Reflectors.
    • Brakes.
    • Mirrors.
    • Horn.
    • Tires.
    • Turn signals.
    • Fenders.
    • Windshield (if applicable).
  • Complete Part 1 of the Off-Road Motorcycle Highway Use Declaration form and sign it. By signing the form, you're certifying the equipment complies with state and federal requirements..

The law doesn't specify how to perform the inspection. It's up to you to ensure that all equipment installed complies with state and federal requirements.

Inspection fees

  • You can't charge more than $100 per inspection (RCW 46.16A.435).
  • The customer must pay you the fee.
  • You must attach a receipt to the Motorcycle Highway Use Declaration form showing the amount you charged.

State and federal requirements

Federal requirements

Washington State laws and rules

Explanation of abbreviations

  • RCW—Revised Code of Washington (Washington State laws)
  • WAC—Washington Administrative Code (Washington State agency regulations)

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Chatbot icon