The new dol.wa.gov is coming soon — here's what to know!

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Child support liens: Vehicles & boats

We work together with the Department of Social and Health Services Division of Child Support (DCS) to enforce child support and collect delinquent payments. The process works like this:

  1. If someone owes child support, DCS places a lien on the person's vehicle or vessel.
  2. We send a Notice of Cancellation to the person or business who holds the title on the vehicle or vessel under the lien.
  3. We tell the titleholder to return the cancelled title to us or destroy it.
  4. Then we issue a new title that lists DCS as a lien holder.

How child support liens affect vehicle and vessel titles

DCS must release the child support lien before you may transfer the title when selling or trading in the vehicle or vessel. If you are selling a vehicle or vessel that has a child support lien, DCS will work with you or your title company to release the lien as soon as the debt is paid. If you will receive less than the amount of the debt from the sale, the DCS support enforcement officer may negotiate a partial release based on a reasonable payment agreement.

What to do if a lien is filed on your vehicle or vessel

If you've received a notice that DCS filed a lien on your vehicle or vessel, contact your DCS support enforcement officer right away to make payment arrangements. For more information, visit DSHS website.

Chatbot icon