The new dol.wa.gov is coming soon — here's what to know!

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Recordkeeping requirements: IFTA

Records you must keep

Motor carriers must maintain detailed mileage distance and records for each individual vehicle. These records must substantiate the information filed with us, and are subject to audits. Each record must include all of the following:

  • Motor carrier name
  • Vehicle fleet number
  • Operator equipment number (OEN) or vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • Beginning and ending odometer or hub odometer reading for each trip
  • Starting and ending date of trip
  • Trip origin and destination by city
  • All pick-up and delivery locations
  • Fueling locations
  • Routes of travel
  • Mileage by state or Canadian province: highway, nonhighway, and deadhead
  • Total trip distance
  • Original fuel invoices, including:
    • Date
    • Customer name
    • Seller name
    • Gallons
    • Fuel type
    • Tax paid
    • OEN or VIN

How long to keep your records

  • IFTA records must be kept for 4 years from the date the tax return was due or filed, whichever is later.
  • The Driver's Daily Logs required by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) must be maintained for 4 years if they represent the only source documentation for operations.

Other state and federal agencies may have different recordkeeping requirements and record retention periods. If an audit finds you have missing or inadequate records, you may receive an adjustment to:

  • Fuel consumption
  • Tax-paid credits
  • Jurisdictional distances
  • Monies owed

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Chatbot icon