The new dol.wa.gov is coming soon — here's what to know!

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Recordkeeping requirements: IRP (prorate)

Records you must keep

Motor carriers must maintain detailed mileage distance and records for each individual vehicle. These records:

  • Must substantiate the information filed with us.
  • Must be summarized monthly, quarterly, and annually, by fleet and state or Canadian province.
  • Are subject to audits.

Records must include:

  • Motor carrier name
  • Vehicle fleet number
  • Operator equipment number (OEN) or vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • Beginning and ending odometer or hub odometer reading for each trip
  • Starting and ending date of trip
  • Trip origin and destination by city
  • All pick-up and delivery locations
  • Fueling locations
  • Routes of travel
  • Mileage by state or Canadian province: highway, nonhighway, and deadhead
  • Total trip distance
  • Original fuel invoices, including:
    • Date
    • Customer name
    • Seller name
    • Gallons
    • Fuel type
    • Tax paid
    • OEN or VIN

How long to keep your records

  • IRP vehicle mileage records must be kept for 4 years following the period the registration application was based on.
  • The Driver's Daily Logs required by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) must be maintained for 4 years if they represent the only source documentation for operations.

Other state and federal agencies may have different recordkeeping requirements and record retention periods. If an audit finds you have missing or inadequate records, you may receive an adjustment to:

  • Fuel consumption
  • Tax-paid credits
  • Jurisdictional distances
  • Monies owed

Questions? Need help?

Chatbot icon