The new dol.wa.gov is coming soon — here's what to know!

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

WA residents stationed outside the state: Vehicles & boats

Did you know?

You can get special design plates with military plate designs and veterans emblems. To view your options, see Special design plates.

Washington as home of record

If you're a WA resident temporarily stationed in another state for military duty, you may continue to license your vehicles in Washington State. Military personnel include:

  • Active-duty members of the United States armed forces:
    • Coast Guard
    • Army
    • Navy
    • Marines
    • Air Force
  • Members of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Agency (NOAA).
  • Commissioned officers of the public health service.


The spouse of an active-duty military member with Washington as home of record may also license a vehicle in Washington if both the military member and spouse are registered co-owners of the vehicle.

How to get WA plates when you're stationed in another state

  1. Submit a Vehicle Title Application (English, Español, Русский, and more).
    • Include scale weight – See vehicle title.
    • For trucks include Gross Weight – See owner's manual, NADA, Kelly Blue Book, or manufacturer's website.
    • All registered owners must sign and have their signatures notarized. You may use a notary public or an active-duty commissioned officer. If the commissioned officer's signature, rank, and service branch appear on the document as a notary, no other proof is needed.
  2. Include all of the following:
    • The title. The military person's name must be on the title or the vehicle record.
      • If you're making vehicle payments, submit a copy of the title (front and back).
      • If the vehicle is model year is 2010 or older, you don't have to report the Odometer miles. If the vehicle model year is 2011 or newer fill out the Odometer Disclosure Statement on the title. Most titles have an Odometer Disclosure Statement section. If you don't have the title, you can get an Odometer Disclosure form from a vehicle licensing office.
    • A copy of the military person's orders showing he or she is stationed outside of Washington for at least 90 days.
    • A copy of a Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) showing Washington as the home of record.
    • Fees – fees depend on vehicle weight, where you live, and the license plate type. To get an exact cost, contact a vehicle licensing office.
    • If the vehicle has been registered in another state and owned for less than 90 days, submit the:
      • Vehicle/Vessel Bill of Sale (English, Español, Русский, and more) showing the price of the vehicle.
      • or
      • Purchase agreement from the dealership with proof of any taxes paid.
    • If the vehicle is new (never licensed before) or was licensed in a foreign country while you were on active duty, submit the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) with your application. For more information about importing a vehicle, see Customs inspections.
  3. Complete a Primary Residence Address Exception form.
  4. Mail your forms, supporting documents, and fees to any vehicle licensing office.
Licensing deadlines
If your vehicle was licensed… Deadline
At your last duty station. You may continue to operate it with the current registration until it expires. Then you may license the vehicle in WA or the state where you're currently stationed.
In a foreign country, and you're returning to the United States. You must license your vehicle in Washington or the state where you're stationed within 30 days of returning.

Washington sales tax

You may be exempt from paying WA sales or use tax if you buy a vehicle while you're stationed in another state. For details, see Tax exemptions.

Tab expiration dates

If you were stationed outside of Washington when your vehicle tabs expired, you may get a new tab expiration date. The expiration date will be 1 year from the day you apply, so the registration is valid for a full 12-month period. To get this new expiration date:

  • You must provide a copy of your military orders showing the dates you were stationed outside of Washington.
  • The tab expiration date must fall within the dates shown on your military orders.

How to apply

You may apply for a new tab expiration date in person or by mail. It isn't available online.

  • Apply in person at a vehicle licensing office. Bring along a copy of your military orders so we can verify your deployment dates, and a check or money order for the fees. (An additional service fee may apply.)
  • Apply by mail. Please include all of the following:
    • Your tab renewal notice.
    • A copy of your military orders.
    • A check or money order for the tab renewal fees.

Related laws and rules

Explanation of abbreviations

  • RCW—Revised Code of Washington (Washington State laws)
  • WAC—Washington Administrative Code (Washington State agency regulations)
  • WA (Washington)

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360.902.3900 (TTY: Call 711)

Chatbot icon