The new dol.wa.gov is coming soon — here's what to know!

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Temporary permits: Military personnel

How to apply

You can get a temporary vehicle permit if you buy a vehicle while serving as a nonresident military personnel.

  1. Visit a vehicle licensing office.
  2. Submit a completed Non-Resident Military Affidavit for Exemption of Excise Tax.
  3. Provide at least 1 as proof you've applied for registration outside of Washington:
    • Out-of-state application.
    • Letter of request.
    • Notarized or certified statement of fact, stating you've applied for an out-of-state title or registration.

How a temporary permit can be used

The permit allows you to use the vehicle in Washington while you apply for out-of-state registration. The permit:

  • Is valid for 45 days
  • and
  • Must be displayed on the vehicle so it's visible from the outside.

Nonresident military members who apply for this permit are not subject to sales tax, use tax, or motor vehicle excise tax during or after the 45-day period of the permit unless one of the following applies:

  • The vehicle is still in Washington after 3 months.
  • The owner brings the vehicle back to Washington within one year after the 45-day permit expires.

Nonresident military personnel are:

  • Active-duty members of the United States:
    • Coast Guard (includes personnel living in Washington who are on duty in the Portland),
    • Army,
    • Navy,
    • Marines, and
    • Air Force.
  • Members of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Agency (NOAA).
  • Commissioned officers of the public health service.
  • Members of foreign military organizations assigned to Washington on official duty.

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360.902.3900 (TTY: Call 711)

Chatbot icon