The new dol.wa.gov is coming soon — here's what to know!

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Disabled parking: Permanent

If you're permanently disabled and meet the disabled parking requirements, you may choose an option below:

  • 1-2 blue placards: Hangs on rearview mirror of any vehicle you're transported in.
  • 1 blue placard and 1 set of disabled parking license plates (fees apply).
  • 1 blue placard and 1 disabled parking tab (fees apply):
    • You can use the disabled parking tab with special design plates or personalized plates.
    • You can't use the disabled parking tab with:
      • Regular (mountain) background plates
      • Disabled parking plates
      • Exempt plates (for state or publicly-owned vehicles.)
      • Collector Vehicle plates
      • Horseless Carriage plates
      • Rideshare plates

For information on fees, please contact a vehicle licensing office. You must be the registered owner of the vehicle that has permanent plates or tabs.

Submit your application and prescription (and payment if needed)

Disabled Parking Application for Individuals (English, Español, Русский, and more). Make sure your doctor, physician assistant, or licensed registered nurse practitioner completes and signs the "Healthcare provider" section and gives you an original, signed prescription to submit with your application (we cannot accept copies). The prescription must be on the healthcare practitioner’s letterhead or prescription paper. Parents signing the application for a minor child must complete a Certificate of Fact stating that they are the parent.

  • Bring your documents to a vehicle licensing office.
  • or
  • Mail your documents:
    Application and Issuance
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9043
    Olympia, WA 98507

Getting your ID card, placards, plates, or tabs

Your placards, plates, or tabs will be sent as soon as your application is processed.

"Individual with Disabilities Parking Privilege" ID card will be mailed separately in 2–3 weeks. Keep it in your wallet or purse. You must provide it to law enforcement when requested.

Renew your plates yearly

You must renew your vehicle tabs and registration each year.

Renew your disabled parking privilege every 5 years

We will send you a renewal notice 45 days before the expiration date.

Have your doctor fill out "Healthcare provider" section and provide you with a new original, signed prescription.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Chatbot icon