The new dol.wa.gov is coming soon — here's what to know!

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Dispose of old plates

If you replace any type of license plate except those listed below, you may dispose of the old plates in any of the following ways:

  • Take them to your local vehicle licensing office.
  • Mail them to us at:
    Department of Licensing
    1125 Washington St SE
    Olympia, WA 98504
  • Remove or invalidate the month and year tabs, bend the plates so they can't be used on a vehicle, and recycle them so they can't be confused with a valid Washington license plate. Don't put them in curbside recycling unless you contact the recycler first to see if the plates will be accepted.
  • Remove or invalidate the month and year tabs and keep the plates. They can't be displayed on a vehicle.

If you replace any of the following types of plates, you must return the old plates to a vehicle licensing office:

  • Commercial Vehicle plates (gross weight over 12,000 pounds)
  • Personalized plates
  • Disabled Parking plates
  • Collector Vehicle plates
  • Horseless carriage plates
  • Baseball Stadium plates
  • Amateur Radio Operator (HAM) plates
  • Disabled American Veteran plates
  • Purple Heart plates
  • Medal of Honor plates
  • Pearl Harbor survivor plates
  • Gold Star plates
Chatbot icon