The new dol.wa.gov is coming soon — here's what to know!

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.
Disabled American veteran license plate

Disabled American Veteran plates

We're experiencing significant delays in our ability to issue personalized and specialty plates. Due to this delay, you may want to consider waiting to apply for a personalized or specialty plate. We don't have a timeline for when production delays will return to normal.

If you applied and your temporary permit is expiring soon, visit a vehicle licensing office to get a new one.

We apologize for any inconvenience this causes

Note: This plate doesn't give you disabled parking privileges, see Disabled parking.


  1. Find out if you qualify.
  2. Plate options.
  3. Submit your proof and application.
  4. Update your Good-to-Go! account, if needed.
  5. Renew your plates, if applicable.

1. Find out if you qualify

If you're a WA state vehicle owner who served in any branch of the US armed forces, Reserves, or National Guard and:

  • Had an honorable discharge or a medical honorable discharge,
  • Have been rated by the Veterans Administration or military service, and
  • Are receiving 100% service-connected compensation expected to last for more than 1 year.

You qualify for Disabled American Veteran plates, which are exempt from license fees on 1 vehicle per year. These plates are good for the life of the veteran.

We can't issue multiple sets of these plates.

2. Plate options

These plates are flat. They don't have raised characters.

Contact a vehicle licensing office to find out the total cost to get these plates. If you want your Disabled American Veteran plates:

  • Disabled American Veteran plates can't be personalized.
  • To get the next available number, continue to step 3. Submit your proof and application.

If you'd like to have a special background for your plates, additional fees will apply. Contact a vehicle licensing office.

3. Submit your proof and application

Get a letter of eligibility from Department of Veterans Affairs verifying a 100% service-connected disability.

Mail the letter of eligibility and Military License Plate Application.

  • Check the box for Disabled American Veteran plates or Disabled American Veteran tabs.
  • Be sure to sign and date the form.
  • Payment for any applicable fees.

4. Update your Good To Go! account, if needed

If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation:

5. Renew your plates, if applicable

You're not required to renew your Disabled American Veteran license plates or tabs when you choose the next available plate in the series for 1 vehicle. You must renew your plates every year if you choose to have a special background for your plates.


Contact us

Chatbot icon