The new dol.wa.gov is coming soon — here's what to know!

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Licensing tracked all-terrain vehicle

What are tracked all-terrain vehicles?

Tracked all-terrain vehicle (Tracked ATV) is any wheeled all-terrain vehicle (WATV):

  • As defined in RCW 46.09.310 .
  • Weighing less than 2000 pounds in stock configuration.
  • With tracks or a combination or tracks and skis installed in place of the standard low-pressure tires.

The owner of a WATV, when properly converted as a tracked ATV, may apply for a snowmobile registration. A snowmobile is a self-propelled vehicle capable of traveling over snow. A snowmobile has the following features:

  • Tracks - an endless belt with or without cleats used to drive in snow or ice.
  • Skis or sled type runners (for steering).

How to title and register a WATV

Go to a vehicle licensing office to title and register your WATV within 15 days of purchase. Otherwise penalty fees will apply. You'll get a:

  • Title – keep this in a safe place at home.
  • Registration (license) document – keep this with the vehicle or have it on you when you use it.
  • Metal tag (same size as a motorcycle license plate) – attach on the back of the WATV.

How to register a tracked ATV

We don't issue titles for snowmobiles but you do need to register them. If you bought a snowmobile that is already registered, you must transfer it into your name within 10 days of taking possession of it.

Visit a vehicle licensing office if you modified a WATV that was already registered. If you plan to use the WATV converted to a Tracked ATV you may need to fill out a TATV Declaration form. Submit it along with the items listed below.

What you need to submit:

  • A Vehicle Title Application (English, Español, Русский, and more) The application must include:
    • Name and address of each registered owner
    • Make, model year
    • VIN
    • Method of propulsion
    • Purchase price and year of purchase
    • or
    • Declared value and year of declaration
  • A copy of any of the following:
    • Previously issued registration certificate
    • Certificate of ownership from another state or country
    • Manufacturer's certificate of origin
    • A bill of sale or purchase agreement
    • Other department approved ownership documents
    • Fees and taxes

When do I need to renew my snowmobile's or snow bike's decals and registration?

You must renew your decals and registration by October 1 for the following year.

If you skipped a renewal year and want to renew for the next year that's coming up make sure you renew on October 1. Otherwise you'll be renewing for the year you skipped. Snowmobile registration period is from October 1 through September 30 of the following year. Registration fees aren't prorated.

Regular snowmobile and snow bike decals

Snowmobiles and snow bikes are issued 2 decals in place of license plates.

Affix the decals and tabs to the TATV as follows:

  • Metal tag: attached to display on the back of the ATV
  • Decals: directly below the windshield on both sides of the hood for maximum visibility
  • Month tab: in front of the first digit of each decal
  • Year tab: on the left side (driver's left when seated) within 2 inches of the last digit of the decal

Vintage snowmobiles

Snowmobiles manufactured 30 or more years ago are considered vintage. Owners:

  • Must visit an office to have a Vintage Snowmobile use type assigned.
  • Pay $12 registration fee without any special operating restrictions.
  • Don't have to register a vintage snowmobile if they don't operate it in WA. For example, they may transport it by trailer to a car show.

Exempt from annual registration

The following snowmobiles aren't subject to annual registration:

  • Government owned (or another state or political subdivision).
  • Nonresident owned when using the snowmobile for:
    • 15 consecutive days or less, you must have a valid registration from a jurisdiction with a similar exemption for WA residents.
    • 15 consecutive days or more, you must purchase a nonresident temporary snowmobile permit or register the snowmobile.

Nonresident temporary snowmobile permit

When a snowmobile comes from a jurisdiction that doesn't register snowmobiles, it qualifies for a nonresident temporary snowmobile permit from the first day of use in Washington. Out of state snowmobiles may get a permit for no more than 60 consecutive days. Snowmobiles located in Washington for more than 60 consecutive days must be fully registered in Washington.

To apply for the permit, visit a local vehicle licensing office and submit a Non-resident snowmobile application and pay all applicable fees.

Adding a lien to a snowmobile

Washington doesn't issue titles for snowmobiles. If you want to put a lien on a snowmobile, contact our Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) section for specific instructions and application. Security interests are registered with our UCC section and won't be recorded on the snowmobile registration.

Contact information
Department of Licensing
Phone: 360.664.1530
Email: ucc@dol.wa.gov
Online: Contact UCC

Questions? Need help?

Contact us

Chatbot icon