The new dol.wa.gov is coming soon — here's what to know!

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Report of sale

Things to know

As of July 28, 2019 you'll pay $13.25 to report the sale of your vehicle. There's no fee to report the sale of a boat.


  1. Remove license plates from the vehicle
  2. Find out why you should file
  3. Gather the information you'll need
  4. File your report
  5. Update your Good-to-Go! account, if needed

1. Remove license plates from the vehicle

By removing your license plates, it encourages the new owner to transfer ownership. Leaving the plates increases your risk of impound costs, traffic infractions, Good to Go! tickets, and other liabilities.

2. Find out why you should file

You need to file a report of sale when you sell, donate or give up ownership of a vehicle (cars, trucks, motorcycles, motorhomes, registered off-road vehicles, travel trailers, boat trailers, etc.)

Filing will protect you from being held liable for towing charges or civil and criminal liabilities incurred by the new owner. The new owner must transfer the ownership into their name.

You must report the sale of your vehicle, if you:

  • Sell,
    • Privately,
    • On consignment, or
    • Out of state (Must have a WA license plate),
  • Trade to a private party or dealer,
  • Gift,
  • Donate,
  • Give to a wrecking yard,
  • Turn over to an insurance company, or
  • Dispose of your vehicle.

If you've sold a boat, see Report the sale of a boat. There is no fee to report the sale of a boat.

3. Gather the information you'll need

  • License plate number (include all letters and numbers on the plate),
  • Date of the sale or transfer,
  • Sale price — enter zero if a gift or inheritance,
  • Name and address of the person or organization who took ownership of the vehicle, and
  • VIN — Vehicle ID number.

Make sure everything is correct before you file. If you find an error after you've filed, you'll have to visit a vehicle licensing location to explain the error. The report will be deleted and you'll need to file another one.

4. File your report

You should file within 5 days. There's no late fee for filing after 5 days, but you may be held liable for any financial, criminal or civil liabilities that the new owner may incur. It's in your best interest to file as soon as possible.

The fee is $13.25, you can file your report:

After you've filed:

  • Keep a copy for your records. If you need a copy, submit a Vehicle/Boat Record Request (English, Español, 简体中文, and more) and fee.
  • If you end up keeping the vehicle, visit a vehicle licensing location to have the report of sale deleted.

Want to leave feedback on an office visit, phone call, or our online services like tab renewal or address change? Tell us how we're doing: Take a survey

5. Update your Good To Go! account, if needed

If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, be sure to update the contact information on your account with the Department of Transportation:

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Chatbot icon