The new dol.wa.gov is coming soon — here's what to know!

If the information on this translated website is unclear, please contact us at 360.902.3900 for help in your language of choice.

Replace your license or instruction permit

Things to know

For $20, you can replace a lost, stolen, or damaged license or instruction permit.

  • You'll get your replacement in 2-4 weeks. If you haven't received it after 30 days, call us at 360.902.3900 (TTY: call 711).
  • We'll mail it to the address we have on file. If it needs to be updated, change your address first. Licenses and ID cards can't be forwarded to a new address.
  • It'll have the same horizontal or vertical format and photo as the one you're replacing.
    • Exception: If you had a vertical card and you’re 21 we’ll replace it with a horizontal format.


  • You can order a replacement up to 3 times a year. Other restrictions may apply, see below.
  • Your temporary license/ID won't include your photo and can't be used for identification.

You have options:

  • Replace online without creating an account. Use this option if you don't remember the number on your card.
  • Log in to replace online if you already have an account.


You can't get a replacement online if:

  • It expires within 3 months, please renew it instead
  • Your license or permit isn't valid
  • You moved out of state
  • You changed your name from what's printed on your license
  • Your record shows you have any of the following:
    • A dishonored check
    • Unpaid traffic fines
    • Unpaid reissuance fee
    • A suspension
    • A revocation
    • A cancellation
Fee payment options
Pay with your: For online services For licensing office
Cash No Yes
Make checks payable "Department of Licensing"
Yes Yes
Visa – credit/debit Yes* Yes – at most offices**
MasterCard – credit/debit Yes* Yes – at most offices**
American Express – credit/debit Yes* Yes – at most offices**
Discover – credit/debit No Yes – at most offices**

*Starting January 1, 2020 we will charge a 3% card payment fee for online transactions. You can also pay with your checking account information online for no added fee.

**We accept credit and debit cards at some of our offices. Our card payments vendor charges a fee.

  • If using a debit card, the convenience fee adds $2.25.
  • If using a credit card, the convenience fee adds:
    • $2.25 if your transaction total is $75 or less.
    • 3% of your transaction total if over $75.

Other options to replace your card:

Your temporary won't include your photo and can't be used for identification.

Related information

Questions? Need help?

Call us: 360.902.3900 (TTY: Call 711)

Chatbot icon